Thursday, June 16, 2011

Yard is 100% Finished!


Hey guys! Hope everyone is enjoying their summer! We have been having a lot of fun. Last week I FINALLY finished our backyard. It only took 5+ trips to Lowe's!! As some of you know, I have been diligently working on our outdoor space for almost 2 years now!

When we moved into our house, this backyard was dirt and a patio... and that was IT! DIRT! In May, my dad, Travis and I planted the St. Augustine grass. After the first frost I planted the various potted plants. Just this last week I finished laying the mulch. For those of you that don't know this, I will let you in on a gardener's secret: One of the cheapest and most noticeable changes you can make in your landscaping is MULCH! It not only keeps your plants that need lots of moisture cool and moist in this Texas heat (As the mulch decomposes it also fertilizes!), it also adds clean lines and definition to any space! I also finally got some fresh herbs. In the backyard we now have basil, thyme and cilantro! In addition, I also finished the back corner of our yard behind Stone's sandbox. I planted a Verbena annual next to my Canis plant.


Hope you enjoy our pictures, we can't wait to get in the backyard now! Who's ready to come over for a BBQ?!!








2 comments:

  1. Oh how I adore plants! looks good! Are those pentas behind the sandbox? If so, I had never heard of them until I moved down here and my mom helped me plant some (she had never heard of them either)! I love how they look like little starts! What is that in the pot behind your basil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are Pentas! I really like them too, love their little pink flowers. The plant behind the Basil is a Luna Hearty Hibiscus. I love it because they have the same blooms as a tropical Hibiscus, but with less maintenance. Right before the first freeze all I do is cut it back and then it comes back in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete